- Publish Date: 2019-07-15
- Form Submission Final Date: 2019-08-12
- Grant Type: Training/Course/Academy
HUC Academy 2019
Harnessing economic opportunities for transformative change in the Hindu Kush Himalaya
23 September–2 October 2019
Date of circulation: 15 July 2019
Application deadline: 5 August 2019; Extended deadline: 12 August 2019
The Himalayan University Consortium (HUC) – an initiative under the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development’s (ICIMOD) Mountain Knowledge and Action Networks (MKAN) Regional Programme – provides a platform to enhance collaboration among universities in the Hindu Kush Himalayan (HKH) region and promote centres of excellence on key topics relevant to the region. The aim is to foster research and learning by building a dynamic mountain knowledge partnership among universities, ICIMOD, and regional member country partners to promote research and learning. This network engages students and professionals capable of undertaking high-quality research, education, teaching, and knowledge dissemination in service of a mountain-specific, sustainable, fair, and inclusive development for HKH communities and adjoining mountainous areas.
The HUC Academy is the Consortium’s flagship annual programme that provides opportunities for young researchers to engage in cross-disciplinary scholarship. It aims to foster a new generation of transformational leaders committed to mountain research, capable of producing consequential knowledge, innovate policies, and environmentally responsible business practices to address mountain challenges in the HKH from transboundary perspectives. The four signature features of the HUC Academy are mountain focus, inter- and trans-disciplinarity, field research, and leadership.
Transformative change requires targeting the root causes that result in social, economic, political, and environmental problems and inequities. It is mainly accompanied by changes in economic structures and relations to enhance productivity in an environmentally sound manner and ensure equitable distribution of its benefits. The HUC Academy 2019 – under the theme “Harnessing economic opportunities for transformative change in the Hindu Kush Himalaya” – will take place in Kathmandu from 23 September to 2 October 2019. The programme aims to improve the knowledge of students and early-career professionals in identifying and analysing emerging economic opportunities and their relevance to transformative change in the HKH.
The HUC Academy 2019 aims to:
- Enhance applied knowledge on economic development and sustainability issues in the HKH region;
- Improve skills to design and implement frameworks for harnessing economic opportunities to bring about transformative change in the HKH;
- Identify a set of practical skills and competencies required by academics, practitioners, and future leaders and help them work on the same;
- Create an interdisciplinary network of teaching faculty and scholars working on the economics–transformative change nexus.
The HUC Academy targets early-career faculty members and PhD/doctoral scholars from HUC member universities in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan who are conducting research and training on issues related to economic growth and sustainable mountain development, especially in the context of climate change.
The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Early-career faculty members from or PhD scholars enrolled at HUC full member institutions;Basic knowledge/academic degree in economics, entrepreneurship, development, or related disciplines;
- A good working knowledge of English;
- Past HUC fellows are strongly encouraged to apply;
- Women candidates and applicants from marginalized communities will be given preference.
The selection panel will review applications for 18 fully funded seats and two additional seats for self-funded or third party-paying participants.
A complete application must include the following:
- A motivation letter;
- A curriculum vitae (max. three pages);
- A description of your current research and its relation to economic issues in the HKH (max. 1,500 words, including references);
- A scanned copy of proof of current employment or PhD enrolment;
- A letter of recommendation from the head of institution for full-time faculty members or from the supervisor for PhD scholars.
Incomplete and late applications will not be reviewed.
- Please register online at https://www.huc-hkh.org/
- To apply for the HUC Academy 2019, please follow this link: https://www.huc-hkh.org/grant/detail/huc-academy-2019
- The application must be submitted by 17:00 hours (Nepal Standard Time) on 5 August 2019.
Please send your queries, with subject line “HUC Academy 2019”, to the Himalayan University Consortium Secretariat firstname.lastname@example.org
Programme duration: 23 September–2 October 2019
Deadline for application: 12 August 2019
Notification of selection: 15 August 2019
Deadline for acceptance: 20 August 2019
Deadline for cost-free withdrawal: 31 August 2019